Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Let students be teachers?



Last semester, I informed Year 9 Geography students that the next topic would be "pollution.".
The response was GROAN!... MOAN!... CONTORTED FACES!
They complained that this topic had been visited in primary school.
But we had a surprise for them!

THEY would be doing the teaching!

Their task required research of a pollution topic + filming.
The criteria appears below, but we allowed a little creative flair - because that could demonstrate an understanding of the research.

CRITERIA
Identified elements of a healthy Australian ecosystem
Clearly showed the effects of pollutants on an Australian ecosystem
Explained in detail what can be done to remedy a polluted ecosystem
Presentation is detailed, demonstrating a clear understanding of research
Documentary/short film is appropriately edited containing only important/relevant  information
Evidence of relevant note-taking and appropriate planning
Used variety of resources and inclusion of bibliography

The groans transformed into enthusiasm. 
Many of the class extroverts took the opportunity to add a little personal drama - such as Nicole's above.

Each video required presentation to the class.
In the preparation stage, I ensured that each student covered a different perspective of pollution.

Was the pollution topic successful?

At the end of each video screening, the creator faced class questions.
Some meaty discussion followed.
(Criteria - Explained in detail what can be done to remedy a polluted ecosystem)

I believe the task was very successful.
The students were involved and interested in each video.

And I learnt a fact or two too!

Such fun!

Let students be teachers?
I think that it's a very good idea...once in a while!



To teach is to keep learning

1 comment:

gpegram said...

I love the idea of letting my students be teachers! As first graders, many of my students see their job as being knowledge consumers. This year, I am trying to help my students see themselves as possessers of knowledge, who learn from their teachers, their peers, and share their knowledge with others. I try to make sure they teach me something each day. I have definitely seen my students begin to take more responsibility of their own knowledge since they know they will be teaching others. I believe your project could be adapted to first graders as well. They could do their own research on a topic, even in a small group or with partners, and teach what they learn to the rest of their classmates. Can't wait to hear how your students rise to the challenge!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...